Lost password to user postgres

От Philippe Salama
Тема Lost password to user postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
2 years ago, I installed postgresql on my desktop and used it for a while for learning purposes.  Then, I stopped using it.  I forgot the password to the user postgres

Now, I am doing a lot with Microsoft Access, and participate a lot at utteraccess.com

Last night I installed MySQL, and am using it for some learning exercises.  I would very much like to connect to my existing installation of PostgresQL, but I have lost the password.  One of the admin programs is still working, and connects to the server, but of course the password is concealed.

HERE IS WHAT I WANT TO DO. I dont care about the old data in the server. I just want to have total access to it again as admin.  I DO NOT want to uninstall and reinstall, if possible.   Is there ANY WAY to recover my password, or reset the server, without going through an uninstall/reinstall process.

IF it is the case that I MUST uninstall and then reinstall, are there any caveats.

I saw one post in google from someone who lost his password, and had all sorts of hassels uninstalling and reinstalling.

Also, if it is the case that I must reinstall, should I use the install download that I still have from 2 years ago.   I remember going through SHEAR TORTURE plowing through all the websites, with all the obscure technical jargon, to find the proper windows install to download.  Perhaps things have improved in two years.  The MySQL install was effortless, up and working in 30 minutes, with no reference to instructions or help.

Anyway, I would appreciate your advice.

If you are Access users, hope you can stop by http://utteraccess.com some time and say hello.

Thanks