Re: Should this require CASCADE?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Should this require CASCADE?
Дата
Re: Should this require CASCADE?  ("Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> With all this dependency stuff, what happens with the ALTER TABLE / DROP NOT
> NULL syntax we came up with?

Nothing, AFAICS.  NOT NULL doesn't have any dependency implications.

> Also, when talking about whether or not the index supporting a constraint
> should be sort of 'hidden' from the user, should not we change pg_dump to
> dump unique indices using the ALTER TABLE syntax, rather than the CREATE
> UNIQUE INDEX syntax?  Otherwise this information will be lost.

I thought we did that already.  We do need to tweak pg_dump's handling
of foreign keys though --- dumping some trigger definitions is no longer
the right thing.

It would be interesting to see if we can reasonably reverse-engineer
a foreign-key-constraint structure given the CREATE TRIGGER commands
that are actually going to be present in existing pg_dump scripts.