Re: Index location patch for review

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Index location patch for review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev@SECTORBASE.COM> writes:
> The more general and "standard" way to go are TABLESPACEs.
> But probably proposed feature will be compatible with
> tablespaces, when we'll got them:

Will it be?  I'm afraid of creating a backwards-compatibility
problem for ourselves when it comes time to implement tablespaces.

At the very least I'd like to see some information demonstrating
how much benefit there is to this proposed patch, before we
consider whether to adopt it.  If there's a significant performance
benefit to splitting a PG database along the table-vs-index divide,
then it's interesting as a short-term improvement ... but Jim didn't
even make that assertion, let alone provide evidence to back it up.