Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...
Дата
Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...
Список pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
>> This seems rather broken, seeing as how "make check" takes pains to
>> create a C-locale temporary installation.  How are you managing to
>> defeat that?

> By running the regression tests in a binary-only installation.

Remind me to pay no attention whatsoever to regression test failure
reports coming from people who use the RPM installation.

I regard this setup as worse than useless, because it is guaranteed
to cause regression failures that most people will not know how to
interpret.  We will be getting lots of complaints, and I for one am
not going to waste my time scanning them closely to see if there is
anything real there.

> ISTM that the regression tests should be locale-agnostic,

They are, when used as intended.

In reality, it's extremely questionable that the regression tests
will tell anything useful to a person who's installing prebuilt
platform-specific binaries.  The builder of the binaries should have
run the regress tests.  So I'm not sure what the point is --- but I am
sure that this setup will cause a lot more problems than it solves.
I recommend forgetting about postgresql-test.