Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 22 November 2001 11:35 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Regression does the expected thing on RedHat 7.2 (locale settings prevent
> > a complete PASS -- the diffs are attached for those who are curious).

> This seems rather broken, seeing as how "make check" takes pains to
> create a C-locale temporary installation.  How are you managing to
> defeat that?

By running the regression tests in a binary-only installation. I am of the
opinion that people might want to run regression, or have the regression
database, or see the regression queries as examples, on a non-development
machine -- one with no make.  I myself, as part of the burn-in of new
database servers, run multiple regression tests on the soon-to-be production
server -- and I _never_ install compilers, make, or associated packages on
production servers.

So I prebuild the regression binaries, etc, and put them into a subpackage
called test -- then, the user just cd's to /usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress, makes
sure postmaster is running, su's to postgres, and runs ./pg_regress with the
right scheduling options. No source tree required. When done with the tests,
rpm -e postgresql-test frees up the 4MB of space taken.

ISTM that the regression tests should be locale-agnostic, or be able to force
a specific locale without requiring a make. It's not a big deal, as long as
you know what to expect, though. So, the regression results I just posted
should be considered normal for the binary-only regression test on a locale
of en_US.  In fact, our regression testscould even be used to find broken
locales -- is there even a test for locale?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio