Re: IO scheduler recommendation

От Ron
Тема Re: IO scheduler recommendation
Дата
Re: IO scheduler recommendation  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-admin
Isn't the use of NFS pretty high on the "things not to do with Postgres" list?

On 1/22/19 12:13 AM, Tim Cross wrote:
I suspect the main reason there are no official recommendations is because setting the IO scheduler is a  low level optimisation, getting very close to a 'mciro-optimisation' compared to other areas of optimisation.  Some even consider playing at this level to be somewhat of a black art - primarily because it is very complicated and dependent on many, many variables (hardware, use profile, data profile etc). For these reasons, I doubt there is a clear 'winner' for PG (especially as PG doesn't do direct IO to disk like Oracle does).  I suspect the fact your using NFS will overshadow any differences with the IO scheduling algorithm as well.  Regardless, the only reliable way to select the best algorithm would be extensive benchmarking using realistic data and usage profiles.