Re: performance problem - 10.000 databases

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: performance problem - 10.000 databases
Дата
Re: performance problem - 10.000 databases  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
threshar@torgo.978.org (Jeff) writes:
> On 06 Nov 2003 15:21:03 +0100
> Marek Florianczyk <franki@tpi.pl> wrote:
>
>> fsync = false
>
> HOLD THE BOAT THERE BATMAN!
>
> I would *STRONGLY* advise not running with fsync=false in production as
> PG _CANNOT_ guaruntee data consistancy in the event of a hardware
> failure.  It would sure suck to have a power failure screw up your nice
> db for the users!

On one of our test servers, I set "fsync=false", and a test load's
load time dropped from about 90 minutes to 3 minutes.  (It was REALLY
update heavy, with huge numbers of tiny transactions.)

Which is, yes, quite spectacularly faster.  But also quite
spectacularly unsafe.

I'm willing to live with the risk on a test box whose purpose is
_testing_; it's certainly not a good thing to do in production.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>