Re: possible os recommendations

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: possible os recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
David.Bear@asu.edu (David Bear) writes:
> wanting to avoid religious warfare, I'm curious if there may be some
> who would have recommendations for what operating system is 'best' to
> run postgresql 8.x on.. I've used postgresql 7.x on FreeBSD.  It was
> already. But, I'm getting sucked into the linux world and have found
> Suse 9.3 a pretty good distro.
>
> Since I've chosen a packaged distro, I realize that I depend upon
> 'them' to keep me updated with criticals and other bug fixes wrt
> postrgresql.
>
> That may be consider bad by some, good by others.
>
> I'm more concerned though about the complete experience, i.e.
> postgresql performance on Linux vs Bsd vs Windows...
> Maintainability.. Stability... os tweeks that were really needed to
> make pg work well, etc.
>
> I would really like to hear from those who have used postgresql on
> multiple operating systems..

You're going to be fundamentally better off if you go with a system
that you can more readily support than one that is unfamiliar to you.

In particular, if you want to use more or less esoteric hardware
features like in-OS RAID or volume management systems, or to tweak
filesystem parameters, you're going to have better luck with a system
you're already familiar with.

The one clear "quasi-religous" argument to be made is that it is
highly preferable to head to some Unix-like system for "production" as
opposed to Windows, as there simply isn't the long history of
Windows-based deployments to nail down OS-related issues.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html