Re: need for in-place upgrades

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: need for in-place upgrades
Дата
Список pgsql-general
khera@kcilink.com (Vivek Khera) writes:
> MGF> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
>>> Can eRserver replicate a 7.3.x to a 7.2.x?  Or 7.4.x to 7.3.x?
>
> MGF> I thought we were talking about upgrades here?
>
> I'm *really* interested in how eRServer works on migrating from 7.2 to
> 7.4 (either eRServer 1.2 or 1.3 :-) )  I have hopes of doing this once
> 7.4 goes gold.  More testing for me, I guess.

I know that 7.2 to 7.3 is being actively looked at, but you're
presumably not getting straight answers on this because nobody has
FINISHED testing the process.

In any case, if your data is a "big deal" to you, there's no question
of doing some sort of blind "Download it, double click the icon;
accept the license agreement, and convert it all."

eRServer is complex enough critter that you would doubtless want to do
a "dry run" on a pair of test databases in order to make sure you know
what things need to be fiddled with in order to get it right.

There's going to be at least a _little_ bit of an outage involved in
switching the direction of replication between the databases, and you
surely want to do a dry run to let you know _all_ the details so that
you can build a checklist suitable to make sure that Going Live goes
as quickly and smoothly as possible, and to keep that outage as short
as possible.

Unfortunately, there are no "infinite" shortcuts to be had.  (Not that
there aren't vendors out there willing to try to sell them... :-))
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.smrytrebil" "@" "enworbbc"))
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>