Re: State of Beta 2

От Andrew Rawnsley
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Small soapbox moment here...

ANYTHING that can be done to eliminate having to do an initdb on
version changes would make a lot of people do cartwheels. 'Do a
dump/reload' sometimes comes across a bit casually on the lists (my
apologies if it isn't meant to be), but it can be be incredibly onerous
to do on a large production system. That's probably why you run across
people running stupid-old versions.

I am, of course, speaking from near-complete ignorance about what it
takes to avoid the whole problem.

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 10:37 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at> writes:
>> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:25:53 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>> wrote:
>>> "int8col = 42" isn't indexable.  [...] --- maybe
>>> just taking out the int8-vs-int4 comparison operators would improve
>>> matters.  I might be willing to advocate another initdb to do that,
>
>> You mean
>>     DELETE FROM pg_operator WHERE oid in (15, 36, 416, 417);
>> and possibly some more oids?  Does this really require an initdb?
>
> I think so.  Consider for instance stored views that contain references
> to those operators.  In any case, I don't really want to have to ask
> people who complain about 7.4 performance problems whether they've done
> the above.
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com