Re: [GENERAL] Storing database in WORM devices

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Storing database in WORM devices
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
juan.paredes@gmail.com (Juan Miguel Paredes) writes:
> I know it would be a hard approach but... perhaps ON DELETE and ON
> UPDATE triggers would help?

No, that's not even related to the real problem.

The problem is that the ability to have transactions is deeply
pervasive, and requires a writable store even though you don't imagine
you're doing updates to the data.

Version 8 probably moves this closer to reality with the addition of
tablespace support.  Using that, you could take "finished" tables, and
put them into a particular tablespace.  VACUUM FREEZE them to pretty
well eliminate the need to touch them again.  Then take that
tablespace offline, turn it into a CDROM, and mount it back in the
same location.

If you do all that, and make the entire tablespace read-only, I could
imagine it sorta working.  Though I wouldn't want to bet money on the
outcome, at this point...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html