Re: Another Data directory for second database - feasible?

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Another Data directory for second database - feasible?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
htomeh@firstam.com ("Tomeh, Husam") writes:
> I have a postgres installation with one database on a server. I'd need
> to create another database; however, I'm curious if there's a way to
> create the second database in a different directory than the existing
> one. Is that feasible and how? Or does postgres only point to one data
> directory?  Thanks in advance.

We have plenty of servers with multiple databases, handled in just
this fashion.

At the simplest level, it involves running initdb three times, on
three directories:

$ initdb -D /opt/DB1
$ initdb -D /opt/DB2
$ initdb -D /opt/DB3
$ vi /opt/DB?/postgresql.conf
[change port numbers for each]
$ for db in 1 2 3; do
  pg_ctl -D /opt/DB$db start
done

You probably want to set up some set of "init" scripts that manage
telling the instances where to stow log files and such, and which can
be auto-started upon system bootup.

One of my coworkers has built a really nice init script that's good at
building the directory structure where the DBs will be stowed, hence...

$ vi init_db3.sh
[modify config]
$ ./init_db3.sh mkdir
[builds directory structure]
$ ./init_db3.sh initdb
[runs initdb for you]
$ ./init_db3.sh start

At one point, he was trying to come up with a way of releasing it to
the community; hopefully poking Drew can lead to that coming
available, someday...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html