Re: Sidetracking pg_autovacuum

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Sidetracking pg_autovacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
jboes@nexcerpt.com (Jeff Boes) writes:
> (Environment: Pg 7.4.1 on Linux; yes, I know it's past time to
> upgrade.)

If you were running 7.2, I'd be pestering you ;-).

We didn't get rid of our last 7.1 system until last December, and I
think the backend is probably still running, albeit with nothing
hooking up to it :-).

> (Originally, I started to post this as a question about how
> pg_class.reltuples could get so far out of whack compared to the
> actual table size. After posting it, I found that (a) I had the
> mailing list address wrong [d'oh!], and (b) I think I solved my
> problem. In essence, by doing a VACUUM in a script after a sizeable
> DELETE, apparently I took the affected table out of the hands of
> pg_autovacuum so that it never, ever did anything with the
> table. Including ANALYZE. Thus, reltuples never got updated.)

Oops.  Change that to a VACUUM ANALYZE (in your script), and things
should work out better.

> I started tracking the COUNT(*) (actual row count) versus the value
> in pg_class.reltuples for a number of our larger tables. Some of the
> tables see a lot of INSERTs and DELETEs over the course of a day; as
> much as 1/12th of the data will be deleted overnight, and new data
> inserted over the course of the day. I have pg_autovacuum running,
> and I also do regular VACUUMs, ANALYZEs, and even some CLUSTERs on
> these tables.
>
> [N.B.: In fact, I started doing a VACUUM explicitly after the big
> nightly DELETE.]

That's not a bad idea, all in all.

> What would cause an otherwise well-behaved table to start doing
> this? Is this just a "dead spot" in the ANALYZE command? (By which I
> mean: ANALYZE randomly sampling rows, but my data is not terribly
> random, so it gets fooled?)

Yes, that doubtless would be it.  There's a new sampling scheme in
version 8 that may do better.

> [And here's the remaining question in my puzzled mind: ANALYZE would
> not change the reltuples value, but VACUUM FULL ANALYZE
> did. Er-wha?]

VACUUM ANALYZE would also change the reltuples value...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html