Re: how do i kill user sessions?

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: how do i kill user sessions?
Дата
Re: how do i kill user sessions?  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
smarlowe@g2switchworks.com (Scott Marlowe) writes:

> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 15:08, Ing. Jhon Carrillo wrote:
>> I have a problem  with the users administration. When I want to erase
>> (drop) some databases there's an error: ** database "name_db" is being
>> accessed by other users.**  I want to kill the user sessions conected
>> but i don't know how to do it   (Kill the user sessions).
>
> First, use ps to find the pid of the offending users.  for instance:
>
> ps ax|grep postgres|grep test
> 18925 pts/1    S      0:00 postgres: postgres test [local] idle
>
> then, as the postgres superuser, kill the backend:
>
> kill 18925

You may want to be careful about what signal you submit.

If you do "kill -9", for instance, that may be a more severe
"thwacking" of the system than you intended.

Hitting it with "kill -2" is usually the right answer; that's SIGINT.

Other signals may cause the database to kill ALL the backends.
"kill -3", for instance...

"kill -9" will terminate the whole database system, 'with extreme
prejudice,' which will be quite likely to turn out badly :-(.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html