Re: US Telephone Number Type

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: US Telephone Number Type
Дата
Список pgsql-general
rabroersma@yahoo.com (Richard Broersma Jr) writes:
>> > Is the difficulty of creating a telephone type the reason it is not in
>> > postgresql already?
>> >
>> > Should the telephone type be able to do something such as:
>> >
>> > SELECT * from tableFOO where telephone.areacode = 555;
>> >
>> > Or would regex be better?
>>
>> makes more sense to store them in a a canonical format and then find
>> things with pattern matches.
>
> Also, due to the problem of keeping area codes segregated in large
> growing population centers, there is strong talk about allowing
> overlapping area codes.  Dialing locally will require 11 digits
> instead of the usual 7.

Ten digit dialing (where the country code is deemed implicit) has been
"de rigeur" in most of the highly populated metropolitan regions that
have 3 or more "area codes" for many years now.

> I know that this is already the case in the state of Georgia and
> there is talk about adopting it in California.

It has been true for a decade or more in Toronto and north Texas...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "ntlug.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/