Re: [HACKERS] commitfest.postgresql.org

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] commitfest.postgresql.org
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Chernow<ac@esilo.com> wrote:
>> I *am* using some kind of key.  Specifically, in integer derived from
>> a serial column.  It's just as stable as 16 random bytes displayed in
>> hex, but a lot shorter and easier to remember, if you're the sort of
>> person who likes to remember URLs.  :-)
>>

> Wasn't aware of exately what you were doing.  It sounded like multiple
> things were in the query_string.  If its already a single key, than there is
> no need to use a different key.  And no, I don't like remebering URLs ...
> thus all the fuss about breaking bookmarks ;-)

Right.  The current system has exactly ZERO chance of breaking any
bookmarks, and all of the proposed alternatives are much more likely
to do so.

>>> IMHO, I don't see much gain to encoding the date into the url either.
>>> This
>>> is not a great way of telling the user when something occurred.  A lookup
>>> is
>>> going to occur either way, so why not get all data at once using a single
>>> method?
>>
>> Sorry, I'm not following this part.
>
> Using a URL to encode when something occurred was being offered as a
> solution to know what commitfest it is.  I'm not sure where your confusion
> is?

The suggestion was to encode the start date of the CommitFest in the
URL, instead of using a non-natural key.

...Robert

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] commitfest.postgresql.org
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] commitfest.postgresql.org