Re: Hadoop backend?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Hadoop backend?
Дата
Re: Hadoop backend?
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM, pi song <pi.songs@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Hadoop file system is very optimized for mostly read operation
> 2) As of a few months ago, hdfs doesn't support file appending.
> There might be a bit of impedance to make them go together.
> However, I think it should a very good initiative to come up with ideas to
> be able to run postgres on distributed file system (doesn't have to be
> specific hadoop).

In theory, I think you could make postgres work on any type of
underlying storage you like by writing a second smgr implementation
that would exist alongside md.c.  The fly in the ointment is that
you'd need a more sophisticated implementation of this line of code,
from smgropen:
   reln->smgr_which = 0;   /* we only have md.c at present */

Logically, it seems like the choice of smgr should track with the
notion of a tablespace.  IOW, you might to have one tablespace that is
stored on a magnetic disk (md.c) and another that is stored on your
hypothetical distributed filesystem (hypodfs.c).  I'm not sure how
hard this would be to implement, but I don't think smgropen() is in a
position to do syscache lookups, so probably not that easy.

...Robert