Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> One thing which is bothering me is that the guc assign hook is throwing an
> error if you set effective_io_concurrency when your system's posix_fadvise is
> deemed inadequate (either unavailable or from an old version of glibc). I'm
> starting to think it shouldn't throw an error, just not set the internal
> variable and possible output a warning. We do have some GUC variables which
> throw errors if you use them and support isn't compiled in, but I'm not sure
> it's such a hot idea even for those.

I can't see why this would be a good idea.  Warnings are easy to
overlook, and then you have completely different behavior without
knowing it.  If I wanted a database that silently did something
completely different from what I asked it to do, I'd use... well,
let's just say products like that are available.

...Robert