Problems with Cygwin postgresql-7.4.README

От Markus Seibold
Тема Problems with Cygwin postgresql-7.4.README
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hello Jason, hello everybody,

first of all ... thanks to Jason for already offering PostgreSQL 7.4 for
Cygwin!!!

I tried to install PostgreSQL 7.4 today as NT/2000 services under Windows
2000 Pro and encountered several problems (I followed Jason's latest readme
file included in the Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.4-1 package):

point 2. in Jason's readme:
==================
- $password: Do I have to set the password? Is there a predefined password
stored in the variable $password? Can I set my own password by just typing it
instead of using $password?
- /fullname: why is "postgres" not in quotation marks?
- /homedir: why can't you just write "/home/postgres"? (this simple absolute
path works with all other paths - i.e., /usr/bin/postmaster)

point 4. in Jason's readme:
==================
-- path /usr/bin/postmaster: in my cygwin directory (c:\cygwin) there is no
/bin folder under the /usr folder and therefore I guess there can't be a
postmaster file. Can it be that you mean /bin/postmaster instead of
/usr/bin/postmaster (I

point 9. in Jason's readme
==================
This is where I spent most of the day today trying to change from my
administrator user to the postgres user - I just can't get this step done.

I used: su postgres. The bash-shell promts for the password everytime but
nothing works - neither blank, nor 'password' nor $password nor ...
I also invoked point 2. in Jason's readme with a password keyed in manually:
net user postgres postgres /add .... But I couldn't switch to the postgres
user even with the password 'postgres'.

I really appreciate any feedback which could help me get PostgreSQL running!

Thanks a lot, Markus

--
Markus Seibold