Re: Problems with Cygwin postgresql-7.4.README

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Problems with Cygwin postgresql-7.4.README
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Markus,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:26:26PM +0100, Markus Seibold wrote:
> first of all ... thanks to Jason for already offering PostgreSQL 7.4
> for Cygwin!!!

You are welcome.

> point 2. in Jason's readme:
> ==================
> - $password: Do I have to set the password?

No, it yours box -- administer it how you see fit.

> Is there a predefined password stored in the variable $password?

No.

> Can I set my own password by just typing it instead of using
> $password?

The "$password" moniker just means a password of your choice.

> - /fullname: why is "postgres" not in quotation marks?

Because it is not necessary under bash -- which happens to be the shell
that I use.

> - /homedir: why can't you just write "/home/postgres"? (this simple absolute
> path works with all other paths - i.e., /usr/bin/postmaster)

Because Windows is interpreting this command -- not Cygwin.

> point 4. in Jason's readme:
> ==================
> -- path /usr/bin/postmaster: in my cygwin directory (c:\cygwin) there is no
> /bin folder under the /usr folder and therefore I guess there can't be a
> postmaster file. Can it be that you mean /bin/postmaster instead of
> /usr/bin/postmaster (I

No, /usr/bin is a mount point:

    $ mount
*>  C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode) <*
    C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
    C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)

BTW, /usr/bin/postmaster really exists:

    $ ls -l /usr/bin/postmaster
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 Administ None           23 Oct 17 07:56 /usr/bin/postmaster -> postgres.exe

> point 9. in Jason's readme
> ==================
> This is where I spent most of the day today trying to change from my
> administrator user to the postgres user - I just can't get this step
> done.
>
> I used: su postgres. The bash-shell promts for the password everytime
> but nothing works - neither blank, nor 'password' nor $password nor
> ...  I also invoked point 2. in Jason's readme with a password keyed
> in manually: net user postgres postgres /add .... But I couldn't
> switch to the postgres user even with the password 'postgres'.

Just login as postgres at the Windows logon screen.

Jason