Re: tablespace and sequences?

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: tablespace and sequences?
Дата
open item: tablespace handing in pg_dump/pg_restore  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At 06:14 PM 20/08/2004, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>This prior SET option looks much better and cleaner. Maybe the TOC entry
>update is not really necessary if the SET is separate?

I'd prefer if it was separate since we want to minimize the number of
multi-statement TOC entries...I think. A new TOC entry is close to zero
cost. Reformatting the TOC to include the tablespace name is more
expensive, but there are a few things I'd like to add, so it's worth it.

>If the SET fails, what tablespace is expected to be chose?

Good question. Is there a name for the normal/default/whatever tablespace?
Tom may need to implement:
    SET DEFAULT TABLESPACE AS FRED    SET DEFAULT TABLESPACE DEFAULT

or something less tacky, but allowing for the default to be derived from
the schema & database rather than the last SET command. The pg_dump will
need to check the result of the SET command and reset the tablespace if it
fails...and probably die if that fails.

>I can give a hand about the implementation over the week-end, esp. as I'm
>the one taking a stand on this issue. However I do not know much about
>pg_dump format and issues, so I'm not sure I'm the best person for a quick
>and clean implementation.

I'm happy to do the pg_dump changes, assuming Tom gets the SET stuff sorted
out. But would appreciate it if you could do some testing.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp.mit.edu:11371       |/