Very high memory usage on restoring dump (with plain pqsl) on pg 9.1.2

От Heiko Wundram
Тема Very high memory usage on restoring dump (with plain pqsl) on pg 9.1.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hey!

On a host that I'm currently in the process of migrating, I'm
experiencing massive memory usage when importing the dump (generated
using a plain pg_dump without options) using psql. The massive memory
usage happens when the CREATE INDEX commands are executed, and for a
table with about 4G of data (traffic rows in pmacct format) in it, I'm
seeing the respective (single!) PostgreSQL-process jump to around 40GB
(VIRT, RES stays at 24GB, which is the systems actual memory), before
the process is duly killed by the OOM-killer of the system (due to
running out of swap...).

I've checked the corresponding parameters (maintenance_work_mem) which
I guess influences the process growth in this case, and they are
"default" (i.e., 16MB).

Is this expected/known behaviour? Does this have anything to do with
the fact that the dump comes from a PostgreSQL 8.3.x? Thanks for any
hint!

--
--- Heiko.