Re: Concurrent Users

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Re: Concurrent Users
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
 Hi,

 On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:35:51 +0530, shyam megha
 <shyamnguitar@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. WHAT IS THE NUMBER OF CONCURRENT USERS WHO CAN ACCESS THE
> POSTGRESQL 9.X SERVER AT A TIME? IS IT NECESSARY FOR ME TO GO FOR
> POSTGRES ADVANCED SERVER PLUS OR ANY OTHER ADVANCED EDITION

 It all depends on their access patterns. Indeed, it is very easy to
 write queries that put down every database on earth. ;)

 However, we normally work with vanilla PostgreSQL (the community
 maintained project) and manage large numbers of concurrent users and
 queries. My suggestion is for you to methodically work on a benchmark
 and then evaluate different hardware setups. It takes time and money,
 but gives you enough insights on your hardware requirements and
 performance. Also, vertical scalability with Postgres has done giant
 leaps in the last years.

> In our company we are looking for concurrent access of geospatial
> data by 100 users at a time.

 Again, this could lead to a "Yes, Postgres can" as well as "No,
 Postgres can't" answer, depending on the nature of your queries.

> 2. ALSO IS THERE MAXIMUM STORAGE VALUE THAT POSTGRES SUPPORTS? WE ARE
> PLANNING TO WORK WITH TERABYTES OF DATA.

 Postgres does not have a theoretical limit in storage. However, when
 managing terabytes, you need to take some precautions - as any DBMS.

 However, a positive message: we normally work with multi-terabyte
 databases, with also leading applications/clients in the GIS industry,
 and Postgres does its job extremely well. ;)

 Cheers,
 Gabriele
--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia