Is it considered good practice to use stored procedures for mosttasks?

От Simon Connah
Тема Is it considered good practice to use stored procedures for mosttasks?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi,

I'm about to build a website using PostgreSQL and for the first time I
am not going to be using an ORM. I want to do it manually because I want
to take the time to learn to use PostgreSQL properly on its own. The
question is should I use stored procedures for the majority of the
database operations or should I just use ad hoc queries as and when I
need them? The advantage I can see for stored procedures is that you can
do complex queries just by calling a single function rather than having
to make multiple queries to get the result that you need. Plus it keeps
the majority of data handling code at the database level rather than in
the application itself.

I was wondering what the consensus was for this? Should I try and use
stored procedures as much as possible or should I only use them for
specific types of tasks?