Re: 20220226-Clarification regarding delay time of PostgeSQL starting up

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: 20220226-Clarification regarding delay time of PostgeSQL starting up
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/26/22 13:34, Techsupport wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
Is it a good practice to upgrade / update database on production on every
year ?

No, it is not a good practice. Database upgrade must be treated as a project which will result in non-negligible downtime. You should upgrade to the new version if the new version brings about features that you need. Here is the list of new features, introduced in the PostgreSQL 14:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/release-14.html#id-1.11.6.7.5

If you need any of the listed features, you should upgrade. If not, you can safely skip the release. Upgrade is something that has business repercussions, inconveniences the database users and should be subjected to the same cost-benefit analysis as every other major IT move. Upgrade policy is usually set by the management, not by the DBA, much to chagrin of the DBA personnel. I used to be a DBA for a very long time and I know.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant