Re: server disk space

От Brian Modra
Тема Re: server disk space
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
2009/9/6 Kevin Kempter <kevink@consistentstate.com>:
> On Sunday 06 September 2009 10:28:30 you wrote:
>> Thanks, I suspected that was the case. However, the plain vacuum on
>> the largest table has been running for almost 24 hours now, despite
>> the postgresql being idle (no rows being inserted or updated for 24
>> hours). The vacuum full will probably take days... which is a problem.
>> I can't really take the database offline over the whole weekend.... Do
>> you have any suggestions?
>> I was just looking at pg_class to see how big the tables were, so I
>> know which are the largest tables. This largest one has a really large
>> pg_toast_4643492 index...
>>
>> (I'm using this to find out which are the largest relations:
>> SELECT relname, reltuples, relpages FROM pg_class ORDER BY relpages DESC;)
>>
>> How do I force a reindex hitting just that pg_toast_<oid> relation?

>> > Brian;
>> >
>> > you may simply have too much data, try the check-postgres script(s) you
>> > can get it here (http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/) , specifically look
>> > at the bloat or dead space in your biggest tables.  You may need to run a
>> > 'VACUUM FULL' on those tables to reclaim disk space, a normal vacuum will
>> > not reclaim any disk space, just make the space in the table available
>> > for re-use by the database.
>

> You could try a dump/restore of this table However Im not sure this would
> actually be faster. I'd suggest you let it run as long as you can.
>
> Likewise if the table is that big you should probably look at partitioning the
> table. This will help you not only per vacuum/space management but performance
> as well

Great Idea, thanks, However, I notice that the postmaster seems idle,
according to top, only 1% of the CPU at most... is it busy with IO
maybe? Still seems strange that it sits at 0, or 1% ...

Nothing else is running on the system...

But when I use ps:

postgres  8563 15633  0 Sep05 ?        00:05:01 postgres: tracker
trackerData [local] VACUUM

Should I give up on teh Vacuum?

--
Brian Modra   Land line: +27 23 5411 462
Mobile: +27 79 69 77 082