Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 25 Jul 2016, at 19:58, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2016, at 19:47, Andy Astor <andya@bigsql.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it’s quite reasonable for a company to want to be identified in the title of the distro.
>
> I agree. If nothing else, it allows existing users or those that know what they want to quickly find what they need -
oneof the primary goals of those pages.

>> As I wrote in my note a couple of weeks ago, I think we should want to balance (a) non-marketing/non-commercial with
(b)making it very simple for the user to know what they’re looking at, in a fact-based way. I continue to believe that
thecommunity is well-served by organization-specific messages that are brief, fact-based, and understated.

We do need to keep in mind reasons (er... excuses! :>) for companies to
put time into furthering the PostgreSQL Community.

For some, if we offer no way of them benefiting - eg no mention of
company name, offering, etc - they'd wouldn't be able to commit
resources. (eg management would be hard to convince)

Balance is important.

The examples here seem ok.  Of course each is trying to say "We're the
best! Choose us!!!".  Because it associates a positive experience (if
the installer goes well) with their company.

Of course, if some offering sucks... that reflects on us all, so lets
burn it with fire. ;D

[eg good installers are fine, as long as we have a fairly high standard
of fine.  Everything else can walk a short plank to hell.]

Hopefully that's not too controversial... :D

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages