Re: Problem while updating a foreign table pointing to a partitionedtable on foreign server

От Etsuro Fujita
Тема Re: Problem while updating a foreign table pointing to a partitionedtable on foreign server
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(2018/08/30 21:58), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> (2018/08/30 20:37), Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
>> At Fri, 24 Aug 2018 21:45:35 +0900, Etsuro
>> Fujita<fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote
>> in<5B7FFDEF.6020302@lab.ntt.co.jp>

>>> I'm not sure that would be really safe. Does that work well when
>>> EvalPlanQual, for example?

I was wrong here; I assumed here that we supported late locking for an
UPDATE or DELETE on a foreign table, and I was a bit concerned that the
approach you proposed might not work well with EvalPlanQual, but as
described in fdwhandler.sgml, the core doesn't support for that:

foreign table, it
      is recommended that the <literal>ForeignScan</literal> operation
on the target
      table perform early locking on the rows that it fetches, perhaps
via the
      equivalent of <command>SELECT FOR UPDATE</command>.  An FDW can
detect whether
target at plan time
      by comparing its relid to
<literal>root->parse->resultRelation</literal>,
      or at execution time by using
<function>ExecRelationIsTargetRelation()</function>.
      An alternative possibility is to perform late locking within the
      <function>ExecForeignUpdate</function> or
<function>ExecForeignDelete</function>
      callback, but no special support is provided for this.

So, there would be no need to consider about EvalPlanQual.  Sorry for
the noise.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita