Re: Problem while updating a foreign table pointing to apartitioned table on foreign server

От Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Тема Re: Problem while updating a foreign table pointing to apartitioned table on foreign server
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello.

At Wed, 05 Sep 2018 20:02:04 +0900, Etsuro Fujita <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote in
<5B8FB7AC.5020003@lab.ntt.co.jp>
> (2018/08/30 21:58), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > (2018/08/30 20:37), Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> >> At Fri, 24 Aug 2018 21:45:35 +0900, Etsuro
> >> Fujita<fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote
> >> in<5B7FFDEF.6020302@lab.ntt.co.jp>

> I was wrong here; I assumed here that we supported late locking for an
> UPDATE or DELETE on a foreign table, and I was a bit concerned that
> the approach you proposed might not work well with EvalPlanQual, but
> as described in fdwhandler.sgml, the core doesn't support for that:

>      foreign table, it
>      is recommended that the <literal>ForeignScan</literal> operation on
>      the target
>      table perform early locking on the rows that it fetches, perhaps via
>      the
>      equivalent of <command>SELECT FOR UPDATE</command>.  An FDW can detect
>      whether
>      target at plan time
>      by comparing its relid to
>      <literal>root->parse->resultRelation</literal>,
>      or at execution time by using
>      <function>ExecRelationIsTargetRelation()</function>.
>      An alternative possibility is to perform late locking within the
>      <function>ExecForeignUpdate</function> or
>      <function>ExecForeignDelete</function>
>      callback, but no special support is provided for this.
>
> So, there would be no need to consider about EvalPlanQual.  Sorry for
> the noise.

I don't think it is a noise at all. Thank you for the pointer.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center