Re: Multiple databases

От Hosen, John
Тема Re: Multiple databases
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi there,

We have just implemented a similar system on a RedHat AS2.1 cluster, Two
Dell PowerEdge 2650s (1x2.8GHz Xeon, 2x2Gb RAM) connected to a Dell
PowerVault220S disc array via Perc 3/DC cards. Runs like a dream.

We have two logical hosts, one for the live environment, the other for the
test.

Each is configured to listen on its own port (as per your option 1), and
each has its own set of binaries, libraries etc to allow for testing of
upgrades etc. Each PostgreSQL installation is also owned by a different UNIX
user as this made things easier for us to manage.

The only fun we have had was to write a wrapper for scripts/cron jobs to
ensure the relevent logical host was present on the physical box, and to
setup the relevant enviroment variables.

To do option 2, wouldn't you have to shutdown the existing postmaster (and
clients) so that it could see the second data area?

Regards

John

--
John Hosen
Senior Web Developer

Tel: 01256 383708
Fax: 01256 383811
Mob: 07801 136525

www.capitaras.co.uk

service.

This email and any files attached to it are confidential and intended
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.

The message and any files attached to it have been scanned by
MIMEsweeper with Sophos Sweep and found to be free from all known
viruses.

Information on MIMEsweeper can be found at http://www.mimesweeper.com/