[ADMIN] PG container technologies which one ?

От ghiureai
Тема [ADMIN] PG container technologies which one ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi List,

I am not familiar with  container technologies , we are thinking about
choosing one of them : either LXC or Docker for some of our new PG
database ( the  expected database size avg 130-150GB, mostly OLAP
transactions with  data ingestion running  on regular interval, the Pg
mem size will match the db size  )   ,  the dev team is pushing for
container db instead of physical db,  I am not convince will bring us
significant advantages, from my own  brief research I see  there are
more examples and support technical documentation about docker and Pg
than lxc ,
  Also some of people in our team  mentioned :
-with Pg + docker container you do not have the option to log direct in
container, monitor performance of database ( like running pgcenter)  and
  -can not  have  a crontab installed inside container to run some
basic  database maintenance jobs ?
   Are this assumption valid ?

Was mentioned that  : Lxc is more close to a VM and a DBA has more
flexibility to perform the regular tasks.

Please , I am looking for your feedback and comments from your own
experience running Pg in container.

Thank you ,
Isabella