Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Дата
Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in  (Barry Lind <blind@xythos.com>)
Список pgsql-general

--On Thursday, December 19, 2002 09:57:15 -0800 Barry Lind
<blind@xythos.com> wrote:

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>  >
>  > The issue isn't whether the app is broken or not, (it is), but the fact
>  > that we
>  > ****CHANGED**** behavior with ****NO**** notice and no way to keep the
>  > app working on
>  > the current release without MAJOR changes to the app.  (some apps just
>  > have it so ingrained
>  > in them).
>  >
>  > We ***SHOULD*** have noticed the user community, and had a transition
> plan.  >
>  > This should be a lesson to us to be more sensitive to applications out
>  > there, and
>  > give NOTICE about compatibility issues.
>  >

> Isn't that what beta is for? - For app developers to test their apps
> against the new version to discover problems/issues before the production
> release.  If this had been brought up during the beta period there may
> well have been a different outcome.
I brought up at least ONE app that had issues during beta.  and was told,
"well, that's
only one".......

> In general it is difficult to determine whether any particular change
> will impact app developers.  And this problem isn't unique to postgres.
> I can't remember a major Oracle upgrade that hasn't broken my
> applications in some way.  The difference with Oracle is that I don't
> find out until the new release is production, whereas with postgres I
> ensure that I am testing with all the betas and getting any issues
> resolved before it goes production.
I noticed some oddities with my TEST RT, but didn't tie them to the 7.3
change.

So, there was at least notice during the beta, but I was told to go away
(essentially).

От: Barry Lind
Сообщение: Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
От: Steve Crawford
Сообщение: Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in