Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 12:55, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Isn't that what beta is for? - For app developers to test their apps
> > against the new version to discover problems/issues before the production
> > release.  If this had been brought up during the beta period there may
> > well have been a different outcome.
> I brought up at least ONE app that had issues during beta.  and was told,
> "well, that's only one".......

No -- you brought up 1 app that had problems in the beta (not "at least
ONE app"). And simply because a single application breaks is not
sufficient reason to revert the change -- we'd need to see fairly
widespread breakage. We're seeing some evidence of that now, but the
point is that we didn't see it during the beta period.

Admittedly, some of that is our (the developers) fault: I recall raising
the issue of backward compatibility at the time the change was made, but
the consensus was that it wouldn't break many applications, if any.
While we should try to do better in the future, I agree with those who
say that if you want to ensure your app works with a new release of
PostgreSQL, you should participate in the development process.

> So, there was at least notice during the beta, but I was told to go away
> (essentially).

No, the response to your inquiry was completely appropriate.

Cheers,

Neil