Re: backup postgresql with snapshot AWS

От David Steele
Тема Re: backup postgresql with snapshot AWS
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 1/19/18 8:32 AM, flumbador@virgilio.it wrote:

> I have a postgresql in Cloud AWS and I want to build the backup strategy
> described below.
>
> The postgresql has PGDATA, Tablespace and XLOG on a Physical Volume,
> mapping a single EBS disk.
> The WAL archive filesystem is on a separate Physical Volume, mapping a
> separate EBS disk.
> OS is SLES 11sp4 and PG is 9.4
>
> The Backup procedure is:
>
> 1) Start Backup
> 2) "AWS EBS Snapshot" of the Physical Volume containing PGDATA,
> Tablespace and XLOG
> 3) Stop Backup
> 4) "AWS EBS Snapshot" of the Physical Volume containing WAL archived
>
> To allow PITR the WAL archive are also archived with a filesystem backup
>
> Is someone using a similar backup strategy?

A strategy like this is posted to the lists from time to time.

> Are there tips or warning that I should be aware of?

Rolling your own backup solution is generally not a good idea.  It's a
lot harder to get right than it seems and an incorrect solution is often
not discovered until it is too late.

Since you are on AWS you should consider using a backup solution like
pgBackRest or WAL-G that support backups to S3.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net