Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Oct 7, 2022, at 17:16, Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:
> What does "make for a good bug report" mean, David?

Well, first of all, brevity. :-)

(https://www.postgresql.org/community/contributors/)will file the bug, granting it credibility with their imprimatur?

> or (1.2) I, Bryn, should file the bug.

That's unnecessarily snarky.  You are the one who feels that there is an issue, so you are the one who should report
thebug.  The community documents how to file a bug report here:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/bug-reporting.html

People completely new to the community report bugs all the time; it's often their first contact with the community.

I don't think there is widespread agreement that this is as big an issue as you clearly feel it is, so it's up to you
topersuade the community that it's worth changing.  You may not be successful, and the implementation of quote_ident
staysthe same as it is now.  If that makes PostgreSQL useless to you, well, contact the bursar for a full refund.

> About "I suspect it is likely to get changed", do you mean:
>
> (2.1) Change the doc to match quote_ident's current, unpredictable, behavior? (By all means, substitute "hard to
describeaccurately, precisely, and yet still tersely" for "unpredictable".)

> (2.2) Change quote_ident's implementation—and then write new doc to describe the new behavior precisely and
accurately?And for this option, the next question is "What's the spec of the changed implementation?"

Make a proposal, and it can be debated.  If you feel up to it, prepare a documentation patch, a code patch, or both.
It'sjust SGML and C; they won't bite.  But you really need to make a specific, concrete, "it should do this instead"
proposal.

And, with all due respect, there is a strong "you FOOLS" tone to your conversation on the list, as if the community are
allmorons, stubborn, or both.  I would really suggest you dial that back, because it's getting in the way of your
often-reasonablepoints.

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE