Re: Importing binary data

От Chris Ruprecht
Тема Re: Importing binary data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm using

psql mydb
# copy attachments FROM '/opt/tmp/clientdata/sql-data-p/attachments.dat' with NULL as 'NULL';

to load the database back in. The psql command runs on the same box as the DB server.

If I had my way, I'd store the binary somewhere and keep a reference to it in the database. Having binary data (images,
PDFs,etc.) in the database never made much sense to me. But this is a client's DB. They used to have an application
writtenin something called "Progress 4GL" and now ported all that to use PostgreSQL with what ever front end (I have no
idea).I believe they are using the new app just like the old app, so unfortunately, I can't just go and change the
underlyingdatabase structure.

Hope this helps to clarify the issue.