Re: Importing binary data

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: Importing binary data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Chris Ruprecht-3 wrote
> Hey guys,
>
> I was given a database back of a non-PostgreSQL database. That database
> contains records where some binary file (looks like email attachments) was
> imported into several chunks of X characters in length and then stored
> into multiple records. A messy way of storing BLOB data. The database
> encoding is LATIN1, ISO8859-1.
> There chunks are actually 50 fields of 60 bytes each per row. If the
> original file is larger than that, more than one row is used.
>
> I can export the data out of that database into flat files just fine, but
> then I try to import the data to Postgres, I'm getting errors like this:
>
> ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "SQL_ASCII": 0x00
> CONTEXT:  COPY attachments, line 14: "58025     1       cl\Cert.r       10
> M04P'15A415).($-H87)4:6UE+$-(05)!0U1%4BQ)3E!55"!I5&EM92!)3E1%
> M1T52'$585$523B!7..."
>
> I tried LATIN1, SQL_ASCII, UTF-8, nothing works. I even tried to make the
> data type 'bytea', no luck. I'd love to have a "NO-CONVERSION" option on
> the copy command that just takes what ever bytes come along and doesn't
> try to interpret them.
>
> Any ideas of what I can do to import this stuff?

PostgreSQL does not like NUL (0x00) in the data that it is importing - I
don't believe it matters what encoding you are using.  That said it would
help to clarify exactly how you are running the copy command - specifically
client or server.

I haven't ever personally encountered this situation but any chance you can
base64 encode on output and then import that way into the new database on a
staging table then decode and manipulate the staged data before storing it
into the permanent table?

David J.