Re: [ADMIN] upgrade path from PG 8.3 to PG 9.5

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: [ADMIN] upgrade path from PG 8.3 to PG 9.5
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 21/03/2017 21:00, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> * David G. Johnston (david.g.johnston@gmail.com) wrote:

>>> The proper solution to the keyword/identifier quoting problem is to use
>>> "--quote-all-identifiers".
>> Using the version of pg_dump to which you are upgrading is an entirely
>> supported and 'proper' approach to dealing with that issue.  Using
>> --quote-all-identifiers, in my opinion anyway, leads to rather ugly
>> results.
>>
>> As I also mention, there are other things in newer versions that pg_dump
>> does its best to address (including things like checking for role names
>> in older versions starting with "pg_", which is not allowed in 9.6+).
>> Using the pg_dump from the version of PG to which you are upgrading is
>> the correct and supported approach to doing upgrades.  Using
>> --quote-all-identifiers is not.
> Yeah there are plenty of little road bumps to hit especially when
> going from something  as old as 8.3 to 9.5. emcoding issues pop up etc
> etc.
>
> Using the new version to dump is THE way to go if you are gonna dump restore.
>
> IF you need the minimal amount of downtime possible, the only
> reasonable solution is some form of logical replication like slony or
> longdiste etc.
We used pg_upgrade recently for migrating from 8.3 -> 9.4 (the last version which supports 8.3), and it went nice. We
hadsome custom functions in C, and pg_upgrade is a disciplined way to deal with
the migration.
We will deploy this migration procedure to over 100 servers running 8.3.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN]
От: Santiago DIEZ
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] unable to find data folder postgres9.4