Effect of archive_mode , archive_command when set on the standby

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Effect of archive_mode , archive_command when set on the standby
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

We are using 9.3.10 on a hot standby, and I am trying to setup cascading replication in order to clone one of our
masterDBs to the cloud (lifting the heavy burden from the master).
I am noticing that setting archive_mode , archive_command on the hot standby have absolutely zero effect.
Can a standby (re)produce wal files for archiving / purposed for feeding to a downstream standby or is streaming the
onlyway it works?
In the docs (9.3) I didn't find anything regarding those parameters when used on the standby server.

Currently on the master we don't keep a window of wals large enough to contain the activity of that many days as the
durationof the cloning of the data disks to the cloud will last. I was thinking if
we could just leave the master as is with its current (shorter term) archiving settings (3 days), and tweak only this
specifichot standby to archive the wals on its own, providing a larger window (7
days+) for the new downstream standby to catch up before we revert to streaming.

Am I missing anything?

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead