Speed/Performance with pg_restore

От Matthew Rudolph
Тема Speed/Performance with pg_restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I am currently unable to search the archive so I will ask even though I
am sure something similar has been asked before.

I am wondering why a pg_restore is so slow. I have a db that was dumped
with columns and inserts, which I Know is slower than using the copy
statements but why are inserts so slow and is there anything I can
do to make it faster. Is there any documentation that talks about this?

I have a db that as plain text is 6.2MB, not much, but when I restore it
(using psql for plain text) it takes over 6 min.
That same db created with pg_dump -DFc and then run through pg_restore
takes over 12 minutes.

My machine is an AMD xp2000 with 500MB ram running win2000 and
postgresql 7.3.2, obviously through cygwin.

I just can't imagine a multi gigabyte database being able to be restored
via pg_restore.

The reason I think I need to use insert statements is for longevity. The
customers may need to go on a witch hunt years down the road and my
thinking was that if this was just SQL, it will always work.

Thanks,
Matthew Rudolph

DISCLAIMER:  Information contained in this message and/or
attachment(s) may contain confidential information of Zetec, Inc.
If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender by return email.