Re: running postgresql with a different id other than postgres user

От Kris Deugau
Тема Re: running postgresql with a different id other than postgres user
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Maki Smith (US - IFS) wrote:
> I successfully installed from source with a different user other than
> postgres on Ubuntu.
> However now I am curious we can do any modification like this when I
> install PostgreSQL via the tool, like apt-get or yum.
> As you mentioned, these tools creates postgres user automatically.
>
> If we use a tool like this, we need to create another superuser as
> post-installation procedure to switch user, and stop usage of postgres
> default user..
>
> Just curious.. how people is doing this type of scenario...

Can you explain your security requirement in more detail?  It sounds to
me like you're going to a lot of effort for something that isn't going
to do what you want to do, or what you think it'll do.

It may also cause issues on package upgrades, because the packages will
continue to operate on the assumption that the username created by the
package is the one that Postgres is running under.  You'd likely end up
running Postgres in a by-hand enough manner that you may as well just
install from source anyway.

-kgd