Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 19/07/2016 12:05, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>>> My colleague has been working on making the latest version of
>>> WordPress
>>> work with PostgreSQL (there used be a PostgreSQL plugin but it has not
>>> been maintained and does not work with the latest version of
>>> WordPress). I imagine there are someone who are attacking the classic
>>> problem and I wonder as PostgreSQL community, what we can do for this.
>> IMHO the way to solve this is not running to catch up with the various
>> projects using a *SIMPLE* SQL backened, but rather create a new
>> postgresql project providing a mysql compatibility layer, something
>> like a server side parser that would translate the mysql commands to
>> real SQL (PostgreSQL) statements.
>> Then only one (this) project should be maintained, with no work wasted
>> in specific client software.
>> So, PostgreSQL can continue to do what it knows to do best, with no
>> worries of not being natively compatible with simplistic yet
>> proprietary systems like mysql.
> I'm not sure that's the best way ever. Sometimes the approach results
> in lesser performance of PostgreSQL than MySQL because of the SQL is
> not optimized for PostgreSQL. For toy project, that's fine. But for
> serious project it might bring bad performance and users will be
> disappointed and speak like "PostgreSQL is slower than MySQL". I saw
> that with Zabbix, for example.

Better to run, even slowly, than not run at all, or require special porting team for every mysql client out there.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Сообщение: Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?
Сообщение: Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?