Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> My colleague has been working on making the latest version of
>> WordPress
>> work with PostgreSQL (there used be a PostgreSQL plugin but it has not
>> been maintained and does not work with the latest version of
>> WordPress). I imagine there are someone who are attacking the classic
>> problem and I wonder as PostgreSQL community, what we can do for this.
>
> IMHO the way to solve this is not running to catch up with the various
> projects using a *SIMPLE* SQL backened, but rather create a new
> postgresql project providing a mysql compatibility layer, something
> like a server side parser that would translate the mysql commands to
> real SQL (PostgreSQL) statements.
> Then only one (this) project should be maintained, with no work wasted
> in specific client software.
> So, PostgreSQL can continue to do what it knows to do best, with no
> worries of not being natively compatible with simplistic yet
> proprietary systems like mysql.

I'm not sure that's the best way ever. Sometimes the approach results
in lesser performance of PostgreSQL than MySQL because of the SQL is
not optimized for PostgreSQL. For toy project, that's fine. But for
serious project it might bring bad performance and users will be
disappointed and speak like "PostgreSQL is slower than MySQL". I saw
that with Zabbix, for example.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Сообщение: Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?
Сообщение: Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?