Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?

От Berend Tober
Тема Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
John R Pierce wrote:
> On 7/18/2016 9:14 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> I found following comment for using PostgreSQL with MediaWiki:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#Database
>>
>> "Anything other than MySQL or MariaDB is not recommended for
>> production use at this point."
>>
>> This is a sad and disappointed statement for us. Should we help
>> MediaWiki community to enhance this?
>
> the classic problem with any of these sorts of open source projects, while you can convert the core
> system to postgres, there's a huge community of contributed plugins, and many of these authors have
> zero interest in anything but their default database, mysql/mariadb.   I ran into this with Drupal,
> Wordpress, a couple different forum projects. Drupal even tried to offer a database API so plugin
> developers wouldn't touch SQL directly, but too many ignored it.

The quoted sentence is really more a statement on the Mediawiki product, NOT of Postgresql. The
preceding half of the sentence makes that clear: "Support for any other database software ranges
from dubious to stable..." It is not saying Postgresql is not ready for production, but that
Mediawiki is not ready for production on a Postgresql.

It's a wiki page. Could you edit the page and make the second sentence in that paragraph more
explicit about what, exactly, it is that is not ready for production? Clearly, there is plenty of
evidence that Postgresql is way ready from production use.

In fact, now that page is fixed: "Running MediaWiki on anything other than MySQL or MariaDB is not
recommended for production use at this point."

Сообщение: Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?
Сообщение: Re: MediaWiki + PostgreSQL is not ready for production?