Re: Re: Re: BUG #16068: Collate of 'Norwegian Bokmål' is problematic

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: Re: BUG #16068: Collate of 'Norwegian Bokmål' is problematic
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Robert Ford <robfordww@gmail.com> writes:
> Sorry about this, but the version was *"Windows 2016 standard*".  I let the
> installer stay on "Default locale" while installing.  This results is a
> config file with the following values:

> # These settings are initialized by initdb, but they can be changed.
> lc_messages = 'Norwegian Bokmål_Norway.1252' # locale for system error
> message

Okay, so we need to translate that string to 'Norwegian_Norway' too.
That's an easy fix, but as far as I can tell from the past discussions
about this, the bugs it'll fix are distinct from what you're complaining
about here:

> WARNING: Console code page (850) differs from Windows code page (1252)
>          8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
>          page "Notes for Windows users" for details.

We don't have any support for Windows code page 850.  Looking at the
wikipedia page about that doesn't make me much inclined to add it
either: wikipedia says that (a) it's largely been obsoleted by 1252,
and (b) there's confusion about what the code page's contents are,
specifically whether it contains a euro sign.  So my recommendation
here is just to switch your console code page to 1252.

> *postgres=# select * from pg_settings;ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for
> encoding "UTF8": 0xe5 0x6c 0x5f*

That hex sequence looks suspiciously like "ål_" in CP1252, so this is an
encoding confusion problem.  I think it'd go away if you simplified
these postgresql.conf entries to 'Norwegian_Norway.1252' and restarted.
What I don't remember offhand is where the funny locale name spelling
might've propagated besides these entries.