Re: does timestamp precision affect storage size?

От Vik Fearing
Тема Re: does timestamp precision affect storage size?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 21/06/16 22:39, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> i'm cleaning up some queries for performance, and noticed that we never use precision beyond the second (ie,
`timestamp(0)`)in our business logic.

> would there be any savings in storage or performance improvements from losing the resolution on fractional seconds,
orare `timestamp(precision)` effectively the same for storage as `timestamp`?  (based on docs, I assume the latter but
wantedto check)

No, there are no space savings here.

=# select pg_column_size('now'::timestamptz(0)),
pg_column_size('now'::timestamptz);

 pg_column_size | pg_column_size
              8 |              8
(1 row)

--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36

От: Jonathan Vanasco
Сообщение: does timestamp precision affect storage size?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: does timestamp precision affect storage size?