Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0

От Josh berkus
Тема Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/13/2016 11:48 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Singular point contribution is not the point of my argument. My point is
>> that if three people from EDB and three people from Citus got together and
>> worked on a project in full collaboration it would be more beneficial to the
>> project.
>
> Well, the scalability work in 9.6 went almost exactly like this,
> assuming you count Andres as three people (which is entirely
> reasonable) and Dilip, Mithun, Amit, and myself as three people (which
> is maybe less reasonable, since I don't really want any of us counted
> as less than a whole person).

Frankly, PostgreSQL is practically a wonderland of inter-company
collaboration.  Yeah, there's some "does not play nice with others"
which happens, but that's pretty much inevitable.

Plus, it's also useful to have some companies go in different directions
sometimes; the best approach to certain problems isn't always well
defined.  We might have a little more of that than is completely ideal,
but it's rather hard to determine that.

Anyway, all of this is a moot point, because nobody has the power to
tell the various companies what to do.  We're just lucky that everyone
is still committed to writing stuff which adds to PostgreSQL.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)