Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: status/timeline of pglogical?
Дата
Re: status/timeline of pglogical?  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 05/11/2016 07:25 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I'm wondering whether or not we should be promoting pglogical with the
>> release as an external extension.
>
> We have a long standing practice of not promoting external
> tools/utilities/add-ons in docs or with releases - as you know we went
> out of our way to remove such references from the docs years ago.

The idea that the concrete we poured 15 years ago never needs to be
inspected for upgrade is a very poor way to insure the integrity and
strength of the foundation.

> This becomes especially problematic when such external
> tools/utilities/add-ons have been developed by one particular company,
> as Robert pointed out here
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoZVBmTnUT419mS3pV9hESJh78gibD_2tviaoGMWvOTwtg@mail.gmail.com

Correct.

> I strongly oppose recommending any non-core 'stuff' in the docs or
> press releases/announcements (including pgAdmin 4).

We play favorites all the time we just don't like to admit it publicly.

This actually comes back to the idea of having an official extensions
project but we don't need to get into that in this thread.

Sincerely,

JD
                         +1-503-667-4564

Сообщение: Re: status/timeline of pglogical?
Сообщение: Re: status/timeline of pglogical?