Обсуждение: status/timeline of pglogical?

status/timeline of pglogical?

От
Josh berkus
Дата:
Folks,

I'm wondering whether or not we should be promoting pglogical with the
release as an external extension.  Here's what that would hinge on:

1. is it easily installable as an external extension?  if so, where can
people download it?

2. are the issues raised on -hackers likely to be resolved by September?

3. is it ready for playing with now?  can people get as far as test
setups with it?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/09/2016 09:53 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm wondering whether or not we should be promoting pglogical with the
> release as an external extension.  Here's what that would hinge on:
>
> 1. is it easily installable as an external extension?  if so, where can
> people download it?

Yes, if you are running deb/ubuntu or RHEL/Cent.

> 2. are the issues raised on -hackers likely to be resolved by September?

Unknown as there is very little if any communication from 2Q about
PgLogical.

> 3. is it ready for playing with now?  can people get as far as test
> setups with it?

Play with? Yes. I have been testing it since 1.0. 1.1 is on my list this
week, it supposedly fixes a few things that i ran into but see my
comment about communication. Whether or not it is production ready still
remains to be seen, there are way too many, "It through this error, what
does it mean" and "Why doesn't the documentation tell me X?"

If we advocate PgLogical it needs to be opened up more or at least the
message should be one of, "Look at what cool things companies can do
with the Pg extension API" not of "Look at this new PostgreSQL project
thing"

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/09/2016 10:02 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 05/09/2016 09:53 AM, Josh berkus wrote:

>> 3. is it ready for playing with now?  can people get as far as test
>> setups with it?
>
> Play with? Yes. I have been testing it since 1.0. 1.1 is on my list this
> week, it supposedly fixes a few things that i ran into but see my
> comment about communication. Whether or not it is production ready still
> remains to be seen, there are way too many, "It through this error, what
> does it mean" and "Why doesn't the documentation tell me X?"

Sigh... not enough coffee: "threw" not "through" and of course a missing ?

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
Hi Josh,

On 09/05/16 18:53, Josh berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm wondering whether or not we should be promoting pglogical with the
> release as an external extension.  Here's what that would hinge on:
>
> 1. is it easily installable as an external extension?  if so, where can
> people download it?

Yes with debs and rpms + sources tarball as well for other systems. The
project page is on 2ndQ website (
http://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/pglogical/ ) at the moment, not sure
if that's issue for community. The absolutely bare bones download page
is at http://packages.2ndquadrant.com/pglogical/ .

> 2. are the issues raised on -hackers likely to be resolved by September?

Well afaik the the issues reported on -hackers are fixed in 1.1 which
was released last week (unless I missed some). So in terms of extension
it should be fine.

> 3. is it ready for playing with now?  can people get as far as test
> setups with it?

Sure, there are people testing it for production usage, the regression
tests have about 96% function coverage, etc. The 1.1 tarball builds fine
with current head so will work with beta1 as well I assume.

Is there any interest in us making packages for beta1? (We have packages
for 9.4 and 9.5 so far)

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
Josh berkus
Дата:
On 05/09/2016 01:24 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:

> Is there any interest in us making packages for beta1? (We have packages
> for 9.4 and 9.5 so far)

I'd say thats a prerequiste to announcing pglogical in the beta
announcement ...

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
On 09/05/16 22:38, Josh berkus wrote:
> On 05/09/2016 01:24 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
>
>> Is there any interest in us making packages for beta1? (We have packages
>> for 9.4 and 9.5 so far)
>>

> I'd say thats a prerequiste to announcing pglogical in the beta
> announcement ...

Okay, that should not be a problem (provided that debs and rpms are
enough). But would be good to get early access to pgdg beta1 packages
then so that we can build pglogical against them in time. I admit I have
not much idea of how the release packaging is coordinated.

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
Josh berkus
Дата:
On 05/09/2016 03:39 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 09/05/16 22:38, Josh berkus wrote:
>> On 05/09/2016 01:24 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any interest in us making packages for beta1? (We have packages
>>> for 9.4 and 9.5 so far)
>>>

>> I'd say thats a prerequiste to announcing pglogical in the beta
>> announcement ...
>>

> Okay, that should not be a problem (provided that debs and rpms are
> enough). But would be good to get early access to pgdg beta1 packages
> then so that we can build pglogical against them in time. I admit I have
> not much idea of how the release packaging is coordinated.

I think we've left this until too late.  Sorry about that.

Let's maybe plan on announcing pglogical next week from pgCon?  Will you
or Craig be there?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
On 10/05/16 00:55, Josh berkus wrote:
> On 05/09/2016 03:39 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:

>>> I'd say thats a prerequiste to announcing pglogical in the beta
>>> announcement ...
>>>

>> Okay, that should not be a problem (provided that debs and rpms are
>> enough). But would be good to get early access to pgdg beta1 packages
>> then so that we can build pglogical against them in time. I admit I have
>> not much idea of how the release packaging is coordinated.
>
> I think we've left this until too late.  Sorry about that.
>
> Let's maybe plan on announcing pglogical next week from pgCon?  Will you
> or Craig be there?

Nope, Simon will be there though. There is always beta2 etc in worst case.

Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От
Craig Ringer
Дата: