Re: amount of WAL logs larger than expected

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: amount of WAL logs larger than expected
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 05/09/2016 11:23 AM, Mark Steben wrote:
> Good afternoon
>
> We run postgres 9.2.12  and run vacuum on a 540GB database.
>
> I've attached a 'show all' for your reference.  With CHECkPOINT_SEGMENTS
> set at 128
> and CHECKPOINT_COMPLETION_TARGET set at 0.9 I wouldn't expect the number
> of logs in pg_xlog to creep much over 400.  But when we run vacuum, the
> number can climb to over 5000 and threatens to blow out on space.  Is
> there something else I should be looking at causing this unexpected
> number of logs?
>
> Our server is also master for a slony1.2.2.3 slave and also to a hot
> standby server.

Are you archiving to your hot standby or streaming? If you are
archiving, you may not be returning a proper success code and thus
postgresql is keeping logs.

Also, you are well behind production (9.2.16) and there are
*significant* bug fixes in the release gaps between.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564